Search This Blog

Jan 9, 2013

Self Ear Piercing Experience and Prevent Infection Information

I pierced my 5th hole at home. I thought about doing it by myself, it was like a random thought that just came up during break. I wanted to have my ears pierced for awhile, when I was in China for break my parents rejected the idea.
I never thought about doing it by myself. When I was in action, it was on the whim. I just did it, I didn't do any research of the proper way but I got the gust of it. Then I went and look up for proper care, after reading the articles, they made me worry about infection for the worst because I forgot to wash my hands. The following instruction are what I did and took note from articles for future reference.

Items:
-rubbing alcohol* or ligher (to sanitize)
-wash hands with antibacterial soap or with hand sanitizer
-pin/ choose a needle similar size as earring (to poke a hole)
-non-dangling earrings that is 14k gold or stainless steel
-q-tip or cotton
-ice cube (numb pain)
*Note: If you don't have rubbing alcohol you can make sea salt solution as an alternative. sea salt to water, an 1 to 8 ratio. Don't use table salt.

How To:
First wash your hand and dry it with a clean paper towel or clean cloth. Or use hand sanitizer

Then you want to sterilize the needle and earring, get a bowl add antiseptic solution or add hot water inside and drop the poker and earring inside. Or you can like I used a lighter to disinfect the needle of germs and then wipe it clean of the residue, which I forgot to do. The needle might be hot and your using fire so be careful.

If you're afraid of pain use something cold, preferably an ice cube on the area, then sanitize the area you are piercing clean with q-tip or cotton, front and back – get your hair out of the way, if in the way.

Position your arms the way you usually put your earrings on. With the needle in the opposite hand of the would be pierced ear, eye ball the spacing you want and  curvature/lining with the other holes you have and future holes. Then exert pressure. I had to use my other hand, I used more of my fingers, as a "hard surface" to exert pressure back. Then take the needle out and replace it with the earring. Disinfect.

I struggle poking the needle through but I did it. I had to take a short break of pushing the needle half way through. I didn't numb my ear lobe and it wasn't painful. When I was reflecting afterwards, I noticed that I was more nervous and jittery of getting my ears pierce with a gun at the store than my needle.

The area where the pressure was became pinkish red and inflamed for few hours. There was pain afterwards but it was easily ignored. There was also a small dot of blood but it wasn't a big deal.

Newly Pierced Ear Care:
Home Remedies for Ear Piercing Infection
HOME CARE ADVICE FOR PIERCED EAR
Pierced Ear Infection Care
Pierced Ear Infection Care 2

Use antiseptic solution for your ears – no chemicals should be used. Rubbing alcohol – isopropanol or ethanol – is commonly used, 2-3 times daily and rotate the earring 3 times 2-3 daily, like in the morning and night or also after showering.

Another tip I read somewhere that try to not have pressure on the pierced ear so don't sleep on your pierced side.

No comments:

Post a Comment