Search This Blog

Oct 6, 2013

Child obesity: Parents encouraging to overeat

The current generation, many of the children play less outdoors. Which is one of the factor for obesity. But I think the major factor is parents encouraging children to overeat. In the past centuries, parents encourage children to overeat was to protect them from famine. During those time period, I think food wasn't as widely distributes and abundant as of today.

Berger mentions a study of low-income family in NYC. The study concluded that many overweight children in the low-income family correlate that increase in weight as family income fell. Which indicates that habit, not genes, are the cause of overweight. Back to the thought that parents are protecting their children from hunger. But, today, food is abundant, especially fast food which are inexpensive, but poor contribution to nutrition of child's growth. Thus, depending on what the children's nutrition source is important.

Between age 2 and 6 the appetite of a child decrease. "However, instead of accepting this natural change, many parents fret, threaten, and cajole their children to overeat" (210-11). This might happen because of the parent's mind set that children are not eating enough. Bringing the study findings and this quote together, Parents are creating a dysfunctional eating habit for the child. A two year old would eat until their full but a five year old would eat everything that is on there plate.

The children knows when they're hungry and full. Please don't force a child to overeat. And please don't use food as a reward either. Both of these action would establish unhealthy habits.

Berger states an example that reminded me of my childhood eating experience and made me want to write this post. This quote implied that a parent telling their children to "Eat all your dinner and you can have ice cream."

Kathleen Stassen Berger.  Chapter 8 of "The Developing Person Through the Life Span." 2011.

First let me tell you about myself when I was 6. I was living with my aunt's house and my aunt's mother was taking care of my cousins and I. Also grew up in a Chinese beliefs and values. I was a slow eater. I was obedient and shy child who listens to her elders--parents, aunt, and aunt's mother. Well while growing up I get reminded my elders to finish my bowl of rice. They tell me that but I can't eat anymore, I was full, but I still had some rice left. While I'm look back at these memories, I remember that I would hide my leftover rice in napkins and throw them in the trash and then put the bowls in the sink. I do not know why did that. I could have just throw the rice directly in the trash. But whatever my 6 year old mind was thinking that was what I did.

Today my parents, mostly my mother, tells me to finish my bowl of rice or eat more of the side dishes. I also when home few weeks ago and mom said that my face looks like its gotten thinner, yea right. And was fretting if I was regularly eating.

At a gather with family, my relative that pester me to eat more is a polite, cultural, host thing. I also grew up with the mind set of not wasting food or things.

No comments:

Post a Comment