Search This Blog

Jul 16, 2013

Sweet Mung Bean With Sago Soup

In one of my nursing class I learned the Chinese culture terms in English. Certain food is categorize into yin and yang or cold and hot food. Mung beans are cold cooling food, well that is what my mum tells me when growing up. Thus, great for summer which is one of the reason I'm making it. It's been so hot and humid out.

I used a wok to cook it. I made full wok of soup. I put in:
1 cup of mung bean
I filled the wok with water like 2 or 3 liters
sugar or rock sugar, to taste
1/3 - 1/2 cup of sago

HOWTO: Add water and mung bean in pot or wok and let it boiled until the bean split. I covered the wok during the time. And check a few times to see if the bean has splitted. It took roughly about 30-40 minutes until the bean splitted. During the wait, I looked up online recipe to this and found the link below, which I follow in how to cook the sago and wrote the top part of this post. Which made me lost track of time in checking the beans. When I lifted the cover many beans were splitted and moved to the sides, it reminded me of the top part of an explosion mushroom for some reason. Anyways, the water level reduced and it looked like it need more water, so I added more water. I stirred it and then I used the soup spoon to take out the empty shells that were floating. When there was a gentle boil I added sago and add sugar. I couldn't find rock sugar, guess we were out, so I had to do with regular white sugar but rock sugar is preferred. I also reduce the heat to med-high. I let it boiled until the sago were half translucent and turn the heat off and cover the wok and let it sit for 15 minutes. I put the soup in container and fridge it. You can eat it hot or cold.
Added more water

I added more water because from past trials the sago will thicken the soup up, also when it's cooled it will also thicken up.

LINK: http://littlebitesbigtastes.blogspot.com/2013/06/sweet-mung-bean-with-sago-soup.html


No comments:

Post a Comment