Search This Blog

Feb 26, 2013

Sushi Rice Recipe

RASAMALAYSIA Sushi rice recipe:
Items:
1 cup short grain rice (measured with the rice cup that comes with the rice cooker, about 80% of a regular measuring cup)
1 1/2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste

OR

1 cup rice
1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons
Mizkan Sushi Seasoning or sushi vinegar

How to:
Cook the rice with rice cooker. When done I like to use the rice spatula or a wooden one to fluff the rice up and then add the seasonings. Then you want to mix the rice with slicing motion or with a baking term folding it, don't stir it. When it is mix well let the rice cool, you can put it in the fridge to cool faster. You want the rice warm so you can handle it with your hands.

Tips:
  • Wet your hand often so the rice would stick.
  • Wet your knife when you cut the sushi.
  • Wet rice spatula if you want to compress your rice sheet.
  • Warp the bamboo sheep with plastic foil which makes it easier to make, rice would stick.
This video gave me a good visual on how to roll the sushi.


This is my first time making sushi and it wasn't hard as I thought it would be. You can put anything you want in your roll–be creative with your filling or look around for fillings... I made a veggie roll with cucumber and carrot. I was debating with myself in the middle of rolling if I should put some shrimp but I didn't. Here are some sushi recipe you can make with your rice.
http://rasamalaysia.com/hand-roll-temaki-recipe/2/
http://rasamalaysia.com/california-roll-recipe/











Sauces:
My mother work at a sushi place and I asked her about the sauces. The simplest one is the diluted soy sauce with sugar. You add soy sauce, water, and sugar. she didn't tell me the measurements so y'all have to play with it and decide your  taste. I bought mayonnaise before I asked my mother about the sauce and she only told me the Soy one. I have a bottle of mayo that I need to use, so I Googled. There's also sushi sauces you can go and buy.

I found two sauces I found and had to make adjustments because I didn't have to items. First mix mayo and ketchup which is the red one in the picture. Second mix mayo, chili powder, and bit of rice vinegar, I like this one better. The second mix it said Japanese mayo and I look it up and the product has rice vinegar.

Sauce 1:
mayo
ketchup

Spicy sauce:
Jap. mayo (I didn't have that so I used mayo and rice vinegar)
Sriracha sauce (I sub. it with chili powder that comes with the mama ramen ^^)

Soy sauce:
soy sauce
water
sugar






No comments:

Post a Comment